NAPOLEONIC FRENCH PRISONER OF WAR BONE 98-GUN SHIP MODEL, EARLY 19TH CENTURY
Height excluding glass dome 11 3/4 in.
Mounted on a later ebonized base with glass dome, including a plaque inscribed H.M.S. Glory - 98 Guns / 'The Glory' was launched at Plymouth in 1789. In 1794 she joined Lord Howe's fleet and distinguished herself at the Glorious 1st of June. She was engaged in the blockade of Cadiz and Cartegena in 1805 flying the flag of Sir John Orde, and the same year under Captain S. Warren took part in Calder's action off Ferrol. Form 1809 to 1815 she was prison ship at Chatham.